Fashion Buyer Careers
Interested in a career as a Fashion Buyer? A Fashion Buyer is one of the most prestigious positions in the fashion merchandising industry. The primary role or job function of a Fashion Buyer is to select and purchase apparel and accessories from designers, manufacturers or wholesalers on behalf of a retailer. Fashion Buyers must have a good understanding of the manufacturing process and must be keenly aware of current and future consumer fashion trends. As a Fashion Buyer, you will be negotiating with vendors, managing budgets and analyzing trends.
FASHION BUYER EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Fashion Buyers typically work for major department stores and chain brand stores. Some stores provide training for buyers through formal management training programs. A bachelor’s degree in a fashion or business related discipline is usually required along with 3 to 5 years experience in the fashion retail sector.
SAMPLE FASHION BUYER JOB DESCRIPTION:
Reports to: Director of Merchandising
Supervises: Assistant Buyer
Reporting to the Director of Merchandising, this position will work on managing all aspects of the buying process for women’s collection in order to drive sales and exceed plans.
- Work closely with the Director of Merchandising on the preparation and execution of seasonal buys for women’s collection.
- Facilitate holding product knowledge seminars in retail stores as well as present at the corporate summits
- Recommend growth opportunities/key item strategies to Director of Merchandising and Wholesale Merchandising department
- Build partnerships with Store Teams allowing for open & timely communication
- Work with Planning Team on all aspects of Markdown & Promotional Strategies including updating OTB
- Work closely with Planner on projects to improve business (i.e. Class Analysis, Sizing Analysis, Inventory Turn and Gross Margin)
- Send all orders to order entry timely
- Track delivery/shipping info weekly
- Prepare weekly Best Seller reports; distribute to all key members of the Retail Team
- Place reorders weekly based upon analysis
- Manage the bulk/reserve inventory
SUCCESS MEASURES: (measurable goals and objectives)
- Annual Sales to Budget & Goal
- Sell thru of Women’s Collection
- Gross Margin and Inventory Turn
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS: (degrees, specific functional skills, professional experience, knowledge, proven accomplishments etc.)
- College degree
- 3-5 years Retail/Sales experience with a fashion retailer/luxury brand
- Proficient in Retail Math
TARGETED COMPETENCIES: (strategic agility, entrepreneur spirit, creatively, integrity, communication skills, initiative, time management, etc.)
- Strong communication skills, interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Flexibility. Ability to change priorities as needs change
- Organized; Strong time management skills
- High taste level