Marketing Director Careers – Fashion Industry
A career as a Marketing Director in the fashion industry can be very exciting and rewarding. Yes, it will require long hours and climbing the corporate ladder, however once you get there you’ll likely be making all of the marketing decisions on behalf of an entire brand. Marketing Directors of major fashion and retail brands have an enormous amount of responsibility. Check out the sample job description below to see exactly what some of the tasks, responsibilities and job requirements are for a Marketing Director in the Fashion Industry.
MARKETING DIRECTOR SAMPLE JOB DESCRIPTION
The Director, Marketing oversees all aspects of wholesale marketing in retail channels in North America, including Canada and Mexico. This includes both the strategic development of marketing programs as well as the facilitation of the tactical components of each. This position requires critical thinking and an in-depth knowledge of the retail environment. A strong collaborative spirit is a must, as cross functional projects are a major component of this position.
- Responsibilities include developing strategy for driving customer engagement and increased consumer traffic via co-op marketing, in-store marketing programs as well as partnership in the development/implementation online initiatives. This person will work across the brand’s Underwear, Sportswear and Jeans divisions.
- Develop a marketing calendar across all businesses, manage all activities and provide comprehensive recaps following each initiative
- Partner with the director of retail development and the director of the coordinator program to create a seamless brand experience for the consumer
- Develop the brand position and its ultimate articulation at the store level, including all aspects of the consumer in-store experience such as direct-to-consumer activities, promotional programs, co-op plans, education materials and multimedia vehicles
- Understand consumer appetites and ultimate behavior, strategize and implement programs and marketing initiatives designed to capitalize on consumer interest
- Partner with the advertising agency to create comprehensive local marketing campaigns designed to enhance the customer experience and demonstrate ROI, including local advertising via retailers, regional marketing programs and events to drive local traffic in-store
- Drive consumer digital programs benefitting the wholesale channel, partner with the advertising agency for their ultimate execution
- Partner with brand marketing and ecommerce to create a seamless approach to marketing online and in-store.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CONTACTS:
Internal: All departments
External: advertising agency, vendors, media partners, wholesale partners
Direct: Marketing Coordinator
Responsible to develop and manage budget for the full-price owned and operated businesses
Broad-based decision making for marketing strategy along with input and negotiation among various parties – internal and external. Direct responsibility for the manner in which co-op and marketing budgets are allocated and spent.
Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects with adherence to deadlines. Detail oriented/innovative traits are necessary. Must be able to find the best solutions and develop methods to improve efficiency. Must be flexible to adapt to changing trends of business and/or ad hoc projects.
ENVIRONMENT: Flexibility – required to respond to changing needs of the business with adherence to deadlines.
- 6 – 8 years marketing experience required
- College Degree – Marketing/Communications focus is preferred
- Ability to think strategically, and implement tactically
- Ability to build relationships and gain consensus across the organization
- Flexibility to adapt to changing business needs
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail
- Strong project management/time management skills
- Ability to travel
- PC Skills, including MS Office, and MS Outlook